This post may contain affiliate links
Winter is still here and my skin is HURTING from the dryness! My skin is on the dry side anyway, but the winter just makes it that much worse. Between the cold temps and running our wood-burning stove, all the moisture is being sucked out of the air and also, consequently, my skin!
Today I’m sharing my winter skincare routine and the products that have been helping me recently, which as you probably guessed is all about adding moisture and hydration back into my skin! Be sure to check out my Instagram story highlights (SKINCARE) so you can see some of the products in action!
My Current Skincare Must-Haves
- Vitamin C – For firming and brightening
- Peptides – For combatting wrinkles and fine lines and as a preventative for those things
- Hyaluronic acid – For hydration
- Clean Paper Towels – For drying my face with something clean every time. Old towels harbor bacteria and could be the cause of some acne/breakouts!
Morning Skincare Routine
1.Rinse (or cleanse) & pat dry
I usually only rinse with water upon waking up, but if I feel I need to cleanse I use a very gentle cream cleanser – I am loving THIS ONE. My other trick is I always use a clean, soft paper towel for drying my face. I learned a few years ago from my esthetician how insanely important it is to either not touch your face at all, or if you do, touch it with CLEAN things only – that includes towels! For me, these paper towels work best, but if you’re into doing lots of laundry, by all means, go for regular face towels, just do not use them more than once!
After my skin is rinsed and cleansed I use a few drops of Drunk Elephant Marula Oil (2-3 drops for Spring/Summer and 5-6 Fall/Winter because it’s SO dry!). I love this oil because it absorbs so nicely into my skin – it’s a thick oil but feels surprisingly lightweight and breathable when on. And my skin feels soft, smooth, moisturized and nourished immediately afterward. It’s no wonder everyone speaks so highly of this oil, it’s seriously the holy grail!
It is so so important to take care of your under eyes! Especially if they are a problem area like mine (Hello dark circles!!). I make sure to hydrate in the morning so when I apply my make up it goes on smooth! For this serum I use the tiniest amount, just a little drop – a little goes a very long way!
To round out my morning skincare routine I use BeautyCounter’s Adaptive Moisture Lotion. I love this line by BeautyCounter because it actually does “adapt” to your skin type. Everyone always asks me is it leaves my skin feeling oily and the answer is no – I feel hydrated, almost like a quenched thirst, after using this cream! It is a product I recommend even for oily-prone skin!
To Recap My Morning Routine:
- Rinse (or cleanse gently if needed)
- Pat dry with clean, soft paper towel
- Pat in Drunk Elephant Marula Oil
- Drunk Elephant Shaba Complex Eye Serum for hydrating under my eyes
- Finish with BeautyCounter’s Adaptive Moisture Lotion
Nighttime Skincare Routine
At night is when I do most of the “work” on my skin, whereas the morning is more maintenance. It is still a relatively simple routine, again I follow the “less is more” approach!
- BeautyCounter Cleansing Balm (make-up removal, cleanse, moisturize) – I scoop about a dime-sized amount onto my fingers and start rubbing all over my face in a circular motion, finishing around my eyes last because they turn black from the mascara. This particular balm I love because it’s so easy to get my make up off and much more gentle than make=up removing wipes! It also comes with a muslin cloth which I wet with warm water to wipe away the balm after it’s done its job.
- Alchemist Cream Cleanser (cleanse)- After I’ve wiped away all the balm (and make-up), I go in for a quick, gentle cleanse. All about the gentle!! I recently got this cleanser in my FabFitFun box and have been loving it! It is so gentle on my skin but leaves it feeling fresh! Plus it smells AMAZING!!
- BeautyCounter Vitamin C Brightening Oil (either BeautyCounter or Drunk Elephant) – With freshly cleansed skin I pat on my Vitamin C oil (I alternate between the two because I love them both, I use the Drunk Elephant C-Firma when I need more of a hydration boost because it also has hyaluronic acid). I am a Vitamin C fanatic because of how well they work to brighten and firm my skin!
- BeautyCounter Recovery Night Cream I finish with this because it is super thick and moisturizing. This is the one thing out of my regime that I would not recommend for oily skin but below I have linked some options if that’s your case!
Masks and Extras
I use the Baby Facial mask by Drunk Elephant once a week (for exfoliation), I can’t do it more than this because my skin is so sensitive!
I have recently been LOVING my Microneedling GlowPro tool, I have been using this one-two times a week to give my skin some extra love! The idea is that tiny punctures in your skin will trigger healing and collagen production naturally to create plump, healthy-looking skin and more even skin tone. After microneedling, I put on PCA Skin’s Exlinea Peptide Smoothing Serum and have noticed a HUGE difference in skin plumpness and reduction of fine lines!!
And, if I have pimples I swear by using Mario Badescu’s Drying Lotion! I put this right on blemishes, at the very end of my skincare routine and go to bed. Usually when I wake up in the morning the pimple is gone or significantly better!
Shop All My Skincare Products Here
I’ve also added my suggestions for oil-prone skin and value set options!
Win $400 PayPal Cash!
Win $400 PayPal Cash by just giving a few minutes of your time!
HOW TO ENTER
Entering is easy! Use the widget below to enter. You can earn points for every action you take (follow someone on Instagram, click through to a blog post, etc) The more actions you take, the more points you win! The widget will randomly pick a winner, so your odds increase with the more points you have!
Make sure to actually do an action as we check to make sure you really entered correctly and will not award prizes to people lying!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
As a heads-up, by entering this giveaway, you are opting into all the hosts’ email newsletters. You may opt out of their newsletters at anytime after receiving them.